The Happy Hour Podcast – Episode 14
Top 10 Tips for Better Sleep with Simon Ngo
Episode 14 of The Happy Hour Podcast with Simon Ngo is all about sharing my Top 10 Tips for Better Sleep! Here I share with you some tips, some reasons and some hacks on how to create better sleep each and every night. Why? Because “Sleep is GOLDEN!”
Using my own experience in understanding my sleep patterns and having better “sleep hygiene”, here I share my 10 top tips for a better night in bed every single night of the day.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender is well known for having a fresh and calm scent. I diffuse this essential oil every night before bed to create a safe and calm environment for my bedroom. In the event that I am on the road, I will bring this essential oil with me to create a DIY pillow mist to spray all around the bed, sheets, pillows…EVERYTHING! You can read more about this wonderfully versatile oil and the brand I’m using HERE!
- Move Every Day: We have spoken extensively about this is the episode on movement and its benefits. I truly believe that adding any form of movement to your day helps tire us out when the sun goes down to assist in falling into a deep sleep at night.
- Switch Off Early: I am a strong believer in switching off early to help buy us a bigger window to winding down in the evening. The more wired we are during the day, the more time we will require to wind down. This rule not only helps us become more productive during the day to get everything done by switch-off time, but also that we can actually bookmark the switching off by getting our exercise in from Tip #2! It’s a win-win in my opinion.
- Have Dinner Early: Naturally from the above, having an earlier dinner can also help with sleeping better. It reduces the chances of bloating and indigestion by avoiding hitting the bed with a full stomach. Further to that, by allowing the remainder of our daily energy for digestion, we easily become more tired by the time we hit the sack two to four hours later.
- Connection: Connect with a REAL person by having a REAL conversation! Either a small talk with someone you live with or a quick phone call will allow us the opportunity to feel like we have expressed ourselves for the day rather than holding everything in. Externalisation FTW! Read Tip #9!
- Mindfulness/Meditation: Have a daily mindfulness or mediation practice! We also already spoken extensively on this in Episode 12 of the podcast. The ability to reduce stress and anxiety means we are clearer, calmer and lighter when we finally wind down for the evening. I tried bedtime meditation for a month and I found it to be helpful in dozing off nicely.
- Night-time Ritual: I have a nighttime skin care ritual literally as a ceremony to mark off the closing of my availability to the external world! Find something which suits you for this emotional gesture as well! Which brings me nicely to the next tip…
- Night-time Reading: My ritual naturally finds me hopping into bed and grabbing whatever book I am reading at the moment. I found this to be one of the best ways to make the eyes heavy preparing ourselves for a good night sleep! Avoid non-fiction, motivation and self-help books though as these stimulate us. We want a light storybook for this purpose.
- Night-time Dump: Well what happens if we do catch ourselves being overly stimulated at night. Twisting and tossing around certainly don’t help. I recommend jumping immediately out of bed, grab your journal (or any piece of notebook or writing pad) and dump all your ideas on the paper! Which is why I am such a BIG advocate for daily journaling! For this, I recommend Brendon Burchard’s high performance planner. Check it out!
- Bedroom Sanctuary: Make your bedroom sacred and an inviting sanctuary! Invest in good bedding and sheets the your bed becomes so irresistible! I mean besides work, this is literally the place we spend most of our daily 24 hours in! So why the heck not!
There you have it! Let me know what you think and what works for you! I would love to hear your thoughts on the show, so please leave me a comment below (or on social via Instagram) and please help the podcast grow and reach more people by either sharing it with someone you know or on your social. You can also leave a 5-star review in iTunes or on your podcast app, a sure-fire way to get this pod to more peeps 🙂
Until next time, stay real and stay happy!
In happiness and kindness,